The Distinguished Service Award is presented to a member of the Bench or Bar who exemplifies the ideals of service to the legal profession and the community.
The Award is open to any member in good standing of the Manitoba Bar Association. Members of the current Executive Committee of the MBA are not eligible.
Nominations should include the following:
- A concise curriculum vitae of the candidate
- A cover letter of support outlining the reasons why the candidate should be selected
Nominations should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
The award is administered by an ad hoc committee of MBA Past-Presidents. The committee reviews the nominations received and makes a recommendation to the Executive Committee.
- 2018 – K. Eleanor Wiebe, Q.C.
- 2017 – J. Guy Joubert
- 2016 – The Honourable Mr. Justice Murray Sinclair
- 2015 – The Honourable Madam Justice Freda Steel
- 2014 – Alan Scarth, C.M., Q.C.
- 2013 – The Hon. Justice Marshall Rothstein
- 2012 – The Hon. Judge John Guy
- 2011 – Roland Penner, C.M., Q.C.
- 2010 – The Hon. Madam Justice Sylvia Guertin-Riley
- 2009 – The Hon. Judge Ronald J. Meyers
- 2008 – David Matas
- 2007 – Professor D. Trevor Anderson, Q.C.
- 2006 – Dr. Arthur V. Mauro, O.C., O.M., Q.C.
- 2005 – The Honourable Alfred Monnin, O.C.
- 2004 – The Late Israel Harold Asper, O.C., Q.C.
- 2003 – The Honourable Benjamin Hewak
- 2002 – Yude Henteleff, C.M., Q.C.
- 2001 – Martin H. Freedman, Q.C.
- 2000 – The Honourable Ruth Krindle
- 1999 – The Honourable Chief Justice Richard J. Scott
- 1996 – The Honourable Charles R. Huband
- 1995 – Clifford H.C. Edwards, Q.C.
- 1994 – Harold Buchwald, C.M., Q.C.
- 1993 – J.F. Reeh Taylor, Q.C.
- 1992 – A. Lorne Campbell, O.C., Q.C.
- 1991 – Donald A. Thompson, Q.C.
- 1990 – G. Campbell MacLean, Q.C.
- 1989 – Frank O. Meighen, Q.C.
- 1988 – To Ruth Matas in memory of the Honourable Roy Matas
- 1987 – The Honourable Frank Muldoon
- 1986 – The Honourable Samuel Freedman
- 1985 – Harry Walsh, Q.C.
- 1984 – Judge Maxwell Cohen
- 1983 – Keith Turner, Q.C.
- 1982 – The Honourable R.G.B. Dickson